This was a delicious accident. I was looking for a gluten free biscuit, more of something like the kind you might have with a hot bowl of soup or the kind that you might make an egg sandwich with. I suppose I could experiment next time with more of a rising agent and larger dollops on the baking sheet, or blanched almond flour instead of almond meal, but I am pleasantly surprised by the mishap and I quickly whipped up a homemade jam of sorts to top these buttery, almost scone like delights. They go so perfectly together with a tall glass of lemon and fruit infused water. They do with a cup of hot tea as well !
The recipe is super simple with only 4 ingredients and simple preparation. I dropped them by packed tablespoons onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet not too close together.
I love that it is gluten free and can be dairy free by using coconut oil instead of butter or ghee. It’s low carb with no added refined sugars and a good source of protein from almonds and eggs.
I have found that my body responds better to not having gluten in my diet. I am not ceiliac but simply find that my fatigue and inflammation increases if I add in gluten. I’m sure this recipe is paleo or keto or something but I’m not up on all the rules of those diets so double check if that’s your goal. I love that it is made from real food, real ingredients that I can feel good about eating.
I made a batch of these and kept them in an airtight container in the fridge for a week. They were so nice to have on hand for healthy snacks on the go or in between meals.
The “Jam” took only a few minutes as well. And the ingredients are so simple and pure, I consume this with confidence knowing there are zero added chemicals or crazy additives. I used frozen organic berries I had in my freezer, a little raw honey and a couple drops of Lemon Vitality essential oi. The lemon oil really accentuated the berries and honey so well and took this jam to a whole nother level of deliciousness. With summer arriving and fresh berry picking on the horizon, I imagine lots of berry jam over everything for months to come.
Gluten Free Biscuits Recipe
Disclaimer: Since I am often asked where to get some of the items I use, I have included affiliate links to each item listed. I receive a small commission when you purchase through these links at no extra cost to you.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 teaspoons gluten free, aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl mix together all dry ingredients. Stir in wet ingredients
- Scoop firmly packed (this will help avoid crumbling) tablespoons of dough onto parchment lined baking sheet to from rounded biscuit shapes, slightly flatten
- Bake for about 15 minutes until firm and golden. Let cool on the baking sheet.
Wild Berry Lemon Jam
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (mine had raspberries, black berries, strawberries and blueberries)
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Honey
- 1-2 drops Lemon Vitality Essential Oil (to learn more about essential oils click here)
- Place berries & honey in a small sauce pan and slowly bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally
- Simmer for a few minutes or until the berries are softened and liquids begin to be released from berries.
- Let cool. Blend slightly with an immersion blender (I like to keep some texture to this jam and not make it completely smooth)
- Pour into small a glass jar with a lid.
- When cooled to room temperature add and sir in the Lemon Vitality Oil
Spoon Jam on top of biscuits as desired. Keep jam in airtight glass jar in fridge for about 1 week. (always glass, never plastic when using essential oils)
That’s it! Hope you enjoy this as much as our family did!