This was so delicious, filling and easy to make. It seems like everyone is cutting out (or at least cutting down on ) grains these days. Everything from keto to paleo, to GAPS, Candida diets and anti-inflammatory diets sing the praises of cutting out grains and the countless benefits of doing so.
Recently my husband was on a healing diet for Lyme Disease and I decided to join him for the sake of easier meal planning and in hopes that I might gain better wellness along with him. Now, I love my morning bowl of old fashioned oatmeal, it’s warm, comforting and filling. This was one of the hardest to give up. Luckily I came across this Grain-Free Breakfast Porridge. There are many versions all over the internet and I customized it to fit my needs and ingredients available to me. It takes only about 10 minutes and you could definitely do some of the prep. the night before if your mornings are busy.
I am super happy with how it turned out and I might even like it better than my oatmeal! This porridge was not only delicious but kept me feeling full and satisfied longer. It’s also packed with healthy fats and protein to give me the fuel I need to get through the day. Healthy essential fatty acids like Omegas, fiber, antioxidants & minerals are so important for brain health, energy and more.
The recipe is really just a base to start with. The texture is lovely and the flavor is so mild you can change out the toppings and sweeteners to your liking.
- 1 cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax
- 2 Tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts (about 13) (or any nut of choice)
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- toppings of choice
- Toasted nuts, slivered almonds, cashews or brazil nuts
- Fresh, frozen or dried fruits or berries
- Dates or figs
- Toasted shredded coconut
- Raw honey, maple syrup or stevia
- Cinnamon, nutmeg
- Pulse the walnuts and pumpkin seeds in a blender or mini prep just until they break down into small pieces.
- Pour the coconut milk into a small saucepan. Over medium heat., Let the milk come to a gentle boil. Add in the chia, flax, coconut, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sea salt. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and stir until porridge thickens (approx. 2-3 minutes) Note: the porridge will thicken more as it comes off the heat because of the chia seeds so don’t let it get so thick on the stove.
- Serve immediately. Top with natural sweetener and toppings of choice. Enjoy!
- Add the ingredients in the order listed
- Don’t over heat in the saucepan
- Dry ingredients can be prepped the night before and stored in mason jars in the fridge for faster prep in the morning (also great way to bring your porridge ingredients when traveling)
- Get organic whenever possible and check labels for unwanted added ingredients (they are sneaky like that)
- For GAPS, Keto, Paleo and other specific diets feel free to omit or swap ingredients to suit the stage of your diet. example; gaps recomends soaking nuts before use and certain fruits are not allowed.